US FEDERAL AGENCY ITSM IMPLEMENTATION

CASE STUDY

THE PROBLEM

The financial management division of a federal agency using ServiceNow for ITSM was experiencing problems because a previous partner’s development work did not adhere to best practices, thus introducing a number of issues into their environment.

 

One of their chief sources of frustration was their user records, a problem that they had been trying to correct for four years. The agency has four different help desks, each directly entering users into the system when they call; the records produced from those calls, however, were not useful. A scripting error was making first and last names unsearchable, so a record was being created for users each time they contacted a help desk. Thus, the agency had no real history for each caller that encompassed their former requests; instead, they had a string of unsearchable duplicate records, often with inconsistent name spelling and formatting.


​While this issue was frustrating from a data perspective, the very real result is that these records were impeding users’ access to information, and ultimately, their benefits.

seo_guide@2x.png

While this issue was frustrating from a data perspective, the very real result is that these records were impeding users’ access to information, and ultimately, their benefits.

THE SOLUTION

Intervening in these user records has created an important, early-stage victory in Pharicode’s larger implementation work with this agency, solving a problem within a week that had caused them difficulty for years.


To correct the problem, we fixed the script that created two extra spaces between first and last name, rendering them unsearchable. We also scripted proper, standard capitalization to correct the wide variety of human approaches to capitalization as agency staff created records “on the fly.”  We found patterns to normalize for prefix, suffix, first name, last name, and middle initials, making sure they ended up in the appropriate fields. Finally, we created a record producer to standardize the way staff put in records and have begun the process of de-duplicating more than 460,000 existing records.

 

Finally, we created a record producer to standardize the way staff put in records and have begun the process of de-duplicating more than 460,000 existing records.

THE RESULT

  • By repairing their approach to user records, Pharicode saved the agency $85,000, the amount they were planning to invest in an alternative solution.
     

  • It is much easier—and less frustrating—for agency staff to create accurate, usable, effective user records when taking customer calls.
     

  • Standardized user records will make other processes, such as access or de-provisioning, more secure than ever before.
     

  • By addressing a seemingly small problem that actually had far-reaching implications, Pharicode has begun earning the agency’s trust as we prepare to implement 4-5 new product lines for them. The customer’s project manager could not be more pleased with our work, commenting, “There was a time when we had a whole list of things we wanted to happen, but weren’t sure they ever would. Since we started working with Pharicode, our dreams have started coming true.”

“There was a time when we had a whole list of things we wanted to happen, but weren’t sure they ever would. Since we started working with Pharicode, our dreams have started coming true.”

CONNECT WITH ONE OF OUR EXPERTS